Carlos Machado is a Red Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He has been teaching BJJ in the United States for over 20 years. He moved to Texas in 1995, and he is now running 6 BJJ schools. He is the oldest of the five legendary Machado brothers.
We talk about
- A little bit of history about early BJJ in the United States
- His style of rolling
- Why he rolls for 20 or 30 min at a time
- How his Jiu-Jitsu is getting better as he gets older
- Using proper breathing techniques
- Benefits of proper breathing
- Why he feels that he could beat the younger version of himself
- Examples of different breathing techniques (chew chew chew, 1,2,1,2)
- What his brothers are up to
- How he tries to make the techniques he already knows better
- Some tips on escaping the mount and how he has changed his escape over the years
- How he teaches complex moves by breaking them down
- Advice for blue belts
- Advice for competing in your first tournament
Vegas July 4 weekend 2014 Martial Arts SuperShow
Carlos is teaching an arm triangle July 1, 9:00 am
Carlos and John are also going to be at a booth for Q&A!! Swing by and check it out my friends!
Summer camp in Dallas Tx, starting July 7th for 4 days, and a second week starting on July 14th also for 4 days.
Thanks to our friend Jake Burroughs from The Ground Never Misses for setting up this interview with Carlos Machado.
Quote of the week: “The measure may be thought bold, but I am of the opinion the boldest are the safest” Haratio Nelson. This Quote was presented by Nick Albin (Chewy) check out a full explanation about this quote from Chewy here. Chewjitsu.net
Article of the week: "BJJ for Beginners: A simple plan for weight loss" From http://alchemymartialarts.net/
Carlos Machado's website is www.carlosmachado.net
Like the Carlos Machado facebook page here
Check out our sponsor Fujisports.com enter to win a Moko Rashguard or a Robo Rashguard
- Enter to win one of these great Fuji Sports rash guards.
Direct download: Epi_37_Great_advice_from_Carlos_Machado.mp3
-- posted at: 10:00am CST